Friday, December 10, 2010

Billy DeVorss

                                                                      'Help Wanted!', 1943

William Albartus DeVorss, more commonly known as Billy DeVorss, was born in St. Joseph, Missouri in 1908. He graduated from the Kansas City Art Institute in 1934 and soon after moved to New York to pursue his career in both pin-up art and advertising.
While his work does not have the almost photographic quality of Vargas, it is his use of colour that make Billy DeVorss's work stand out. He worked almost exclusively in pastels, due to both the speed at which he could work and the effect it produced.

That little bit being said he has always been one of my most favorite pin up artists mainly because the color in most of his art is so much bolder than you would think possible with mere pastels.  In fact the yellow background picture above titled "Help Wanted" from 1943 is one of my very favorite of all time with regards to pin ups.  That is if I had to attempt to pick in the first place since I love them all in my collection.  Its honestly like asking me to pick my favorite pair of shoes and thats impossible!  In fact even though I have about 100 or so pairs (I lost track a long time ago LOL) I feel there is always room for more shoes the same way there is always room for more pin ups.  Must be that whole primal gatherer thing us women are so famous for right?   Here are some more examples of his incredible work....

                                                                       Orchid Girl 1938    
                                                   
                                                                     'Untitled', 1938
                                                                                

Love,
Athena

2 comments:

  1. Whoa is me! These women were gorgeous! What'd I'd give to look like them post- babies/ breastfeeding!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i feel your pain mimi!!! i think your perfect though...

    ReplyDelete